Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Comfort in a Time of Grief

After two other failed attempts to keep a blog, I'm hoping that 2013 will prove that the third time's the charm. I plan to post every day with a quote to inspire, to amuse, or to uplift. As most of these quotes will come from my favorite people, movies, and books, you will get to know me pretty well. Since it's already January 2nd, I have some catching up to do.

When I returned to work after my Christmas vacation, I was saddened to hear that one of my managers had lost her husband suddenly the day before. All of my coworkers knew this man well, and though I had only met him a few times, he struck me as a genuinely nice, caring person. It's going to be a long time before this pain subsides for my coworkers. With that in mind, the three quotes I chose for today are offered as comfort for the loss of a loved one:

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don't always spoil the good things or make them unimportant." Doctor Who, Vincent and the Doctor (5.10). 

Disclosure: I am a rabid Doctor Who fan. I discovered the show nearly a year ago, and have been enamored ever since. So, when an episode came along in which the Doctor meets Vincent Van Gogh - who has been my favorite artist since I studied him for a project in third grade - it was inevitable that I fell in love with said episode. It is incredibly moving (read: tear-jerking) and was the source of this wonderful quote from the Doctor himself.

For those of you who don't know, the Doctor is a time-travelling alien - I know, I know, it sounds weird. But trust me, it is one of the best shows out there. In this episode, the Doctor and his companion, Amy, travel back in time to visit Vincent. When they return to the present, Amy believes that they made such a difference in Vincent's life that he will not have committed suicide. Of course, she is heartbroken to find that this is not the case, and the Doctor offers some comfort. You can see the scene here.


"...remember that you were loved by me and you made my life a happy one. And there's no tragedy in that." Third Star 

While on YouTube several months ago, I stumbled across a little gem called Third Star. It's a British film about a young man dying of cancer who embarks on a trip to the picturesque Barafundle Bay in Wales with his three closest friends. You can see the ending from a mile away, but it was still a fantastic movie about friendship, love, and death. Watch only if you have a few boxes of tissues nearby.

Trailer for Third Star (NOT for young audiences). 


Do not stand at my grave and weep, 
I am not there; I do not sleep. 
I am a thousand winds that blow, 
I am the diamond glints on snow, 
I am the sun on ripened grain, 
I am the gentle autumn rain. 
When you awaken in the morning’s hush 
I am the swift uplifting rush 
Of quiet birds in circling flight. 
I am the soft starlight at night. 
Do not stand at my grave and cry, 
I am not there; I did not die. 

 Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye 

 A friend of mine introduced me to this poem a few months back and I have loved it ever since. I even made a bookmark with it.

There you are. If you are in need of some comfort, I hope you found it here. If not, perhaps keep this in the back of your mind for a rainy day...

No comments:

Post a Comment